[erlang-questions] Large-scale Erlang in practice

Attila Rajmund Nohl attila.r.nohl@REDACTED
Tue Feb 7 23:00:32 CET 2012

2012/2/7, Tim Watson <watson.timothy@REDACTED>:
[...]
> Yes but my point about very_long_module_names is not just that it is ugly
> and painful to type. I can get autocompletion in vim/emacs today so that's
> not the issue. The point is that as the number of libraries/applications I
> am able to choose from increases (and let's face it, they're growing fast)
> I'm increasingly being forced to deal with module name clashes *or* to put
> up with very long names which are distracting to look at - they take focus
> away from the *function* that is being called, which is what *I* want to
> focus on.

In the AXD301 the module names were prefixed with the subsystem name,
so for example many subsystems could have a library module with name
like xyzLib. I guess this was enforced on project level.

Honestly, C doesn't have packages either, still applications can use
dozens of libraries. Even though the situation is not exactly the same
(in C the internal names can "clash"), the API functions are (in many
cases) religiously prefixed with the library name. An this worked for
the last 40 years.