[erlang-questions] Orthogonality and Principle of least surprise Was: chained functions

Jon Watte jwatte@REDACTED
Fri Feb 3 19:18:52 CET 2012

The question is: why is the grammar like that?
For people used to first class functions, Erlang doesn't actually live
up to the expectation.
I think there are both runtime efficiency and legacy implementation
reasons for this.

Note that it's a bit ambiguous what this would mean in the face of code loading:

F = module:fun
Now, reload "module"
Does F() call the old code, or the new code? I could see an argument
for either way, but the more useful behavior would be to call the new
code.

Sincerely,

jw

--
Americans might object: there is no way we would sacrifice our living
standards for the benefit of people in the rest of the world.