[erlang-questions] smtp server

Steve Davis steven.charles.davis@REDACTED
Wed Feb 1 02:21:55 CET 2012

I have noticed that a great number of SMTP projects fail with a
whimper. In particular, I observed that the JBoss project ran an SMTP
project for a long, long time before even barely having something
reasonable, and it's still not really "production quality". While the
underlying protocol for SMTP is straightforward, I think things run
aground owing to the teams initially underestimating the number of
rfcs and protocol extensions that you are essentially *required* to
support (especially wrt authentication etc) to have a production level
server; and also the storage issues such as the user directory and
message store.

There's no reason it couldn't be done, of course, but there's a lot of
moving parts that need to come together to make it a real production
competitor to the venerable sendmail or servers like MS exchange.

As far as Erlang is concerned, it's hard to see it happening until
certain requisite libraries are mature. For instance, START_TLS is
still not "easy" in erlang owing to the long, and continuing, struggle
to get good TLS protocol support.

Assuming that does get "finished" (and there's a whole raft of crypto
work still to do), perhaps a good start towards such a goal would be
to integrate, at the very least, an LDAP client into the base
libraries...

ok before I ramble too much, I'll leave my 2c there.

regards,
/s