[erlang-questions] clarify: run_erl and ssh

Patrik Nyblom pan@REDACTED
Fri Dec 21 11:59:40 CET 2012

Hi Per!

On 12/20/2012 03:56 PM, Per Hedeland wrote:
> Patrik Nyblom <pan@REDACTED> wrote:
>> On 12/19/2012 08:37 AM, Bengt Kleberg wrote:
> [snip]
>>> sekic1152 [8:26am] [/home/eleberg] -> ssh sekic1152 ./afile
> [snip]
>> I guess the PTY does not get initialized correctly when you run via ssh.
> Or rather, in the above command, there is no pty allocated *at all* on
> 'sekic1152'. Try 'ssh -t sekic1152 ./afile' instead. 'man ssh'.
Well, I was unclear or downright misleading.  I did not mean the ssh
pty, but the pty allocated by run_erl, which can be allocated and setup
regardless of the stdin/stdout/stderr situation when starting run_erl.
Or, regardless of everything *except* for the fact that it needs to get
a valid curses definition, which in turn relies on the terminal setting
(or TERM environment variable) of the shell that runs run_erl (which is
expected to match the terminal doing to_erl)...

So ssh does not really need to have allocated a pty, we just need to
tell run_erl that it should act as if we are going to connect via a
VT100 (or xterm or something else that has a curses definition). The
actual pty of run_erl get's initialized correctly regardless, we just
does not get newshell if we do not have a valid TERM variable so we can
find a valid curses definition.

That's why

TERM=vt100 run_erl -daemon /tmp/eleberg/ /tmp/eleberg/ "exec erl"

works, but the aforementioned script doesn't (or, really it works, you
just get the "oldshell").
ssh -t also works, as you then get the TERM variable set properly - it
is inherited from the remote host in the terminal setup negotiation.

So, saying that the pty did not get properly initialized was wrong, I
take that back.

Cheers,
/Patrik