[erlang-questions] rpc:call to a restricted shell

Son Tran-Nguyen esente@REDACTED
Tue Dec 18 06:28:13 CET 2012

Hello list,

In one of my application, I start a restricted shell as a slave node, using
a callback module as follow:

The callback module, for example, returns {false, State} for
gen_event:start/0 function to prevent that to be run. When tested in an
actual restricted shell, it is prevented as expected:

smba:eggs esente$ erl -pa apps/*/ebin -stdlib restricted_shell
shell_callback
Erlang R15B02 (erts-5.9.2) [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4] [async-threads:0]
[hipe] [kernel-poll:false] [dtrace]

Restricted Eshell V5.9.2  (abort with ^G)
1> gen_event:start().
** exception exit: restricted shell does not allow gen_event:start()
2>

However, when used in my app by making a call to the remote restricted
shell using rpc:call/4, the call went through:

Args = "-stdlib restricted_shell editor_shell",
{ok, Node} = slave:start_link(smba, editor, Args),
{ok, Entity} = rpc:call(Node, gen_event, start, []),

It returns Entity as a pid().

I understand that the callback functions cannot be used to allow or
disallow execution of functions called from compiled code, but only
functions called from expressions entered at the shell prompt.

I would like to confirm that rpc:call/4 does not enter the call into the
remote shell, but doing some stuffs to run the call directly.