[erlang-questions] init:stop() not working?

Fred Hebert mononcqc@REDACTED
Mon Dec 17 14:09:36 CET 2012

Hi Vlad,

Whenever I've had this problem in the past, it was due to someone
(likely me) not putting all dependencies in the .app file of my
application, most notably stdlib and kernel when using a release.

The applications are started in a given order, and when calling
init:stop/0-1 to shut down the VM, the application controller goes
through the list in reverse and terminates and unload applications and
libraries in that order.

Thus if you have an app where you don't have your dependencies on stdlib
and kernel set, there's a possibility one of your libraries gets loaded
before them (and thus unloaded after them), if I recall correctly. That
ends up being an application that is technically still running, but not
actually able to run. The VM ends up looking like a zombie.

That's the explanation I think I got by reading the source a bit more
than a year ago. I do remember that putting both kernel and stdlib in
your app dependencies and re-building the release would solve that
issue.

I'm not sure if it applies to your current case and have no idea what
ErlIDE is doing though.

Regards,
Fred.