[erlang-questions] gen_server bottleneck

Sun Dec 16 15:16:57 CET 2012

On Dec 15, 2012, at 9:19 PM, Garrett Smith <g@REDACTED> wrote:

> I've lost track of this thread -- are you still guessing, or have you
> spent any time measuring? I looked back and couldn't see any
> discussion about e.g. specific processes with high reduction counts,
> growing queue sizes, etc.

Sometimes, a well-placed eprof measurement does wonders to tell you what is slow. We had a system that was spending 40% of its time in a specific regular expression once, but this is hard to see unless you profile. I'd say you should look at processes with high reduction counts, or groups of those and then look into why they are reducing all the time.

But I have a hunch that this has more to do with the fact that the simulation is serial more than parallel. If you want to utilize more than one core then, you need to figure out how the problem can be split up.

Jesper Louis Andersen
  Erlang Solutions Ltd., Copenhagen