[erlang-questions] Deploying on a server with different architecture and version of Erlang

Vineet Naik naikvin@REDACTED
Fri Dec 14 11:35:55 CET 2012

Hello,

Now that I have successfully built a release of my app using rebar, I am
stuck at
deploying the packaged release because the server I want to deploy to has
different
version of erlang and different architecture from my development machine.

Development Env
-------------------------
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Erlang R14B04
erts-5.8.5

Remote Server
----------------------
x86_64 GNU/Linux
Erlang R13B03
erts-5.7.4

I tried compiling on the server but it's failing with a series of errors
such as

ERROR: Unable to generate spec: Mandatory application kernel is not
included in [{app,crypto,false,undefined,

"/usr/lib/erlang/lib/crypto-1.6.3",

["/usr/lib/erlang/lib/crypto-1.6.3"],
                                                  "1.6.3","crypto-1.6.3",

I have two questions:

1. Is this due to the old version of erlang? And considering that I have
ejabberd and rabbitmq-server running in production on the same server
can I upgrade erlang to R14B04 on it without having to take them down for
much
time?

2. What is the recommended strategy for developing and deploying erlang
code on
differently configured servers?

Thanks,
Vineet