[erlang-questions] "official" pre-built rebar binaries

Jachym Holecek freza@REDACTED
Thu Dec 13 17:34:44 CET 2012

# Motiejus Jak?tys 2012-12-13:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 5:37 PM, Lo?c Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:
> > On 12/13/2012 05:34 PM, Motiejus Jak?tys wrote:
> >
> > Github just announced that they removed support for file upload though.
> >
> > https://github.com/blog/1302-goodbye-uploads
>
> Oh what a bad news, pity. However, if community and basho guys agree
> with the concept, maybe it could be hosted somewhere in basho?
>
> Or still is it still seen as the best practice to bundle rebar in the
> repository or trust the user to have one and it's just me against
> having binary stuff in the repository?

Many people (including myself) bundle pre-built rebar in the repository
out of convenience, but it could hardly be considered best practice from
technical point of view -- due to ERTS' compatibility contract on BEAM
bytecode versions by including pre-built rebar we also implicitly dictate
the maximum Erlang version that will be able to build our project. If we
were to ever upgrade the pre-built rebar file we'd on the other hand
dictate minimum supported Erlang version.

Probably not what anybody really wants in the long run, I suppose?
Perhaps best to require rebar as a build-time dependency if you want
to play safe?

BR,
	-- Jachym