[erlang-questions] Running rebar generated release failing with Kernel pid terminated"

Vineet Naik naikvin@REDACTED
Thu Dec 13 08:28:58 CET 2012

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Andrew Gopienko <gopienko@REDACTED>wrote:

> Make sure you have sasl dependency in your app file.
>
>   {applications, [
>                   kernel,
>                   stdlib,
>                   sasl
>                  ]},

Thanks Andrew, that was indeed the problem why no sasl error log was
generated.
After adding sasl in applications, the error logged in it is,

exception exit: {undef,[{inets,start,[]},
                            {exmpp_component,init,1},
                            {gen_fsm,init_it,6},
                            {proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3}]}
      in function  gen_fsm:init_it/6

I had added `{app, inets, [{incl_cond, exclude}]},` in reltool.config
myself earlier.
I tried removing that option out now and I am getting the following error
while
starting up

{"init terminating in do_boot",{'cannot load',ftp,get_file}}

I was getting a series of such errors before and I could fix them by
excluding
non required libraries one by one. 'inets' was excluded in order to fix the
error for
'ftp' module. But it seems exmpp code needs inets:start/0.

I tried replacing it with -

{app, ftp, [{incl_cond, exclude}]},

and later

{app, inets, [{incl_cond, derived}]},

But both don't work. What is the correct way to configure this?
BTW, isn't ftp in the stdlib? I can load ftp module from inside any erlang
shell

Thanks,
Vineet

> 2012/12/13 Vineet Naik <naikvin@REDACTED>
>
>> Hi Roman,
>>
>> Thanks for replying. I have <release-bundle>/log/sasl but it's empty. And
>> there is no
>> other file/dir in log dir. Do I need to include anything in code/config
>> to make
>> it log errors to a file?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Vineet
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 9:27 PM, Roman Gafiyatullin <
>> r.gafiyatullin@REDACTED> wrote:
>>
>>> Vineet, most probably something went wrong during startup.
>>> Can anything similar to sasl-error.log be found in
>>> the <release-bundle>/log/ directory?
>>>
>>> --
>>> RG
>>>
>>> On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 at 6:31 pm, Vineet Naik wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am trying to package my app using rebar. `rebar generate` command runs
>>> without any
>>> problem (no errors at least). But when I try to start the console by
>>> running the script generated
>>> by rebar in bin directory, it fails with "Kernel pid terminated"
>>>
>>> A huge crash_dump is also created but I am not able to gather any info
>>> from it.
>>>
>>> I checked the erlang docs[1], I found this paragraph about the error
>>>
>>> "Kernel pid terminated (Who) (Exit-reason)" - The kernel supervisor has
>>> detected a failure, usually that the application_controller has shut down
>>> (Who = application_controller, Why = shutdown). The application controller
>>> may have shut down for a number of reasons, the most usual being that the
>>> node name of the distributed Erlang node is already in use. A complete
>>> supervisor tree "crash" (i.e., the top supervisors have exited) will give
>>> about the same result. This message comes from the Erlang code and not from
>>> the virtual machine itself. It is always due to some kind of failure in an
>>> application, either within OTP or a "user-written" one. Looking at the
>>> error log for your application is probably the first step to take.
>>>

>>> If I run `console_clean` command, then the console start in the correct
>>> node. Does
>>> this rule out the "Node is already in use" case above?
>>>
>>> I also tried running the code from an erlang shell with the ebin dir
>>> paths of all required
>>> libs added manually to sys path and it works perfectly.
>>>
>>> How can I go about debugging this?
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/erts/crash_dump.html#id71973
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Vineet