[erlang-questions] noob namespace question

Rustom Mody rustompmody@REDACTED
Wed Dec 12 19:14:43 CET 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 11:30 PM, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:

> On 12/12/2012 06:58 PM, Rustom Mody wrote:
>
>> In Erlang variables start with a capital letter, atoms start with a
>> lowercase letter.
>> Functions also start with lowercase.
>>
>> How does Erlang distinguish atoms and functions? Especially in the
>> context of higher order functions.?
>>
>> [Disclaimer: noob to Erlang but not functional programming or Lisp.
>> Erlang atoms look quite close to Lisp atoms though also different...]
>>

> Function names are atoms.
>
> Funs don't have a name (yet) so there's no naming happening there.

I dont understand. Let me try and be more explicit about my concern.

Let h be a higher-order function of one argument (h/1)

Now in the call h(foo)
How does Erlang know whether foo is a function or an atom?