[erlang-questions] Using Key/Value store with shared storage

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Mon Dec 10 19:34:37 CET 2012

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Mahesh Paolini-Subramanya
<mahesh@REDACTED> wrote:
> This seems flawed to me. Do you want resiliency, or shared storage?
>
> Ooooh.  Troll! :-)

I wasn't trying, but it is admittedly my nature.

But really, shared anything, almost by definition, is a compromise on
resiliency, no?

Or do I need to talk to some sales guys to get my thinking straight?

> Seriously though - as Max Lapshin points out, w/ the exception of doing some
> very interesting (read complex, and potentially destabilizing) architecting
> w/ infiniband, multiple links and cascade setups, you are going to be
> seriously bottle-necking on your shared storage.
> And, to Garret's point, resiliency and shared storage are (kinda)
> orthogonal.  An appropriately spilled can of coke can wreak havoc to your
> shared storage, and BigCouch/Riak/Voldemort/... can be remarkably resilient.
>
> A few years back, we migrated out of the "eggs in one basket" SAN approach
> to BigCouch. Our SAN setup was increasingly starting to look something that
> would give even Rube Goldberg nightmares, and the sheer amount of hackery
> associated with this was starting to keep me up at nights.

And??

You never said what happened!

Garrett