[erlang-questions] Recommended approach for dependency management during development

Steve Davis steven.charles.davis@REDACTED
Sat Dec 8 02:44:25 CET 2012

I'm somewhat intrigued about why "dependency/package management" isn't a
resolved issue.

For sure rebar is a big and useful step towards that, and for erlang apps
it is a great solution, but the true panacea has still not arrived.

What is really intriguing is that the dependency management issue, at least
by my observation, is not truly resolved for any language/platform i can
think of (ruby gems strikes me as perhaps closest, but still not the true
resolution).

One very interesting approach has been maven, but the lessons from that
project are multitudinous, e.g.:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/861382/why-does-maven-have-such-a-bad-rep

I personally suspect that the solution may be deep in our accepted software
assumptions. Specifically, the unresolved issue is not dependency
management per se, but the impedance mismatch and inherent state of
accepting and declaring what we know as "relative paths".

If that is true, then dependency management is simply another case where
hidden state is the enemy of any attempt at rationalizing behavior.

/s