[erlang-questions] What do you like the most about Erlang/OTP?

Erik Søe Sørensen eriksoe@REDACTED
Wed Aug 29 11:33:14 CEST 2012

One thing I've found useful is the ease of having small embedded DSLs --
data-driven code, also known as. Writing small interpreters can do wonders
sometimes, and is easy in Erlang.
Here @work we used that for a project were we needed a set of
heuristics-based data transformation - "if the data has this form, apply
that transformation". And I've also written data-driven unit tests.
Erlang's literals are fairly good for this.
The generators of QuickCheck and its kin are another example of this.

(Erlang's far from unique wrt this, but it's a thing to like nonetheless.
Scala and Haskell are stronger at DSLs in some respects, I believe -- but I
don't think they have something like file:consult/1.)

And, as others have mentioned: good, strong encapsulation, in the form of
immutable values and process-level isolation - encourages separation of
concerns, increasing the chance of understandable code.