[erlang-questions] What do you like the most about Erlang/OTP?

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Wed Aug 29 05:56:16 CEST 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am wondering what you guys like the most about Erlang/OTP, especially
> newcomers, maybe it changed your life, allowed you to climb the Everest (or
> at least sleep at night).
>
> I'll be synthesizing that into a few key points that I am hopeful will be
> reusable by anyone wanting to sell Erlang to their friends/work/clients.

You know of course this is a topic of great interest for me :)

I believe that Erlang's key differentiator, which people should look
closely at is this:

- Fine grained process isolation

The motivation for the design was to build systems that can survive faults.

As a pragmatic functional language, Erlang lets you build such systems cheaply.

So you get systems that run effectively with less code, less testing,
and less maintenance.

I'd be curious how many people, based on their experience building
production Erlang systems, would agree or disagree with this.

Garrett