[erlang-questions] Password generator in Erlang

Zabrane Mickael zabrane3@REDACTED
Fri Aug 17 22:44:56 CEST 2012

Hi Torben,

On Aug 17, 2012, at 9:33 PM, Torben Hoffmann wrote:

> One thing to keep in mind with crypto is that it depends on OpenSSL which means that if you want to create a binary version of your application you need to make sure that the execution platform has OpenSSL.
>
> If you are developing a server for your own use - no problem.

That's the case for us.

> If you want to break the dependency you can - on Un*x-like platforms - resort to getting a seed from /dev/urandom - there is an example of this in https://github.com/lehoff/cryptographic, it is ages since I worked on that and I cannot remember the state of that, but the general principle should be sound.
>
> There is a way to do this in Windows too, but we never got around to implementing that back then.

From the source code:
/* entropy.c - C code for generating random numbers using the internal windows entropy library. */
https://github.com/lehoff/cryptographic/blob/master/c_src/entropy.c

Regards,
Zabrane