[erlang-questions] Parametric modules and Dialyzer

Fred Hebert mononcqc@REDACTED
Tue Aug 14 14:40:55 CEST 2012

I really, really want to recommend option 5: not using parametrized modules.

Dialyzer is the first of your concerns. Next up, you'll be having
trouble with code tracing, which is also messed up due to the arity
issues. Then what about function guards?

There are a few valid use cases for parametrized modules, and Richard
Carlsson can demonstrate them well, but I would generally advise against
it (a lot of it is personal preferences, I got to admit). Shadowing,
messed up arities, different semantics, etc. all annoy me a bit.

Here's a quick list of the problems, based on the following module:

    -module(pmod,[Arg]).
    -compile(export_all).
    f() -> Arg.

Using it in a shell started as:

    1> c(pmod).
    {ok,pmod}
    2> M = pmod:new(hello).
    {pmod,hello}

1. function building is broken:

    3> fun M:f/0.
    ** exception error: bad argument
          in function  erlang:make_fun/3
             called as erlang:make_fun({pmod,hello},f,0)

You can't get the above to work without either forgetting about
parametrized modules (passing the argument to the function) or wrapping
it in an anonymous function as fun() -> M:f() end, although this one has
the problem of potentially being purged during code reload, which a
proper pmod anonymous function wouldn't.

2. Tracing is broken due to changes in arity:

    4> dbg:tp({M, f, 0}, []).
    ** exception error: no case clause matching {pmod,hello}
          in function  dbg:do_tp/3 (dbg.erl, line 141)
    5> dbg:tp({pmod, f, 0}, []).
    {ok,[]}
    6> dbg:tp({pmod, f, 1}, []).
    {ok,[]}

The first one plainly doesn't work, the second one will never match
anything, and the third one is actually the valid one.

3. Tricky pattern matching.
If I add the following function definition to the pmod module:

    id(Arg) -> Arg.

And then try to use it, see what can happen:

    7> c(pmod).
    {ok,pmod}
    8> pmod:id(4).
    ** exception error: undefined function pmod:id/1
    9> M:id(4).
    ** exception error: no function clause matching
    pmod:id(4,{pmod,hello}) (pmod.erl, line 6)
    10> M:id(hello).
    hello

The way you name the variable will impact pattern matching. Although it
*is* likely the best behaviour available, it is weird to have this
behaviour happening, you need to watch yourself. This kind of stuff
won't happen if you use pmods with great care, but I'm a pessimist on
these questions.

Related to this, this isn't the most intuitive kind of error to debug in
the middle of a larger file. If you add:

    y() -> fun(Arg) -> Arg end.

You get compiler warnings telling you /pmod.erl:8: Warning: variable
'Arg' shadowed in 'fun'/, still a scoping issue for the distracted
programmer. Imagine using the same variable in a case ... of match
without thinking of it. Some programmers get it wrong with the normal
scoping rules, nevermind with parametrized arguments on top of it.

4. They don't work well with tools like Dialyzer, as you found out.

Those are the ones I got from the top of my head. I know people will
defend Parametrized modules, that they have valid use cases (I can admit
to a few!), that a lot of these issues are implementation details that
can be fixed, but as of now, they aren't, and they mess stuff up.

Sorry, I know this isn't the kind of answer you want to such a question.