[erlang-questions] Adding StartTLS support to eldap (for use Ejabberd)

Rory Byrne rory@REDACTED
Sun Aug 12 14:08:26 CEST 2012

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 07:40:00PM -0600, OvermindDL1 wrote:

> > Adding some of these features to OTP eldap wouldn't be too difficult,
> > but I'd guess that only a subset of these changes would get accepted.
> > And at the end of the day, I can't see ejabberd giving up their current
> > flexibility where they can make any changes to their LDAP code as and
> > when they need to.
> >
> > <snip/>
>
> I, personally, would certainly not mind StartTLS support and
> asynchronous and concurrent connections being added to the OTP
> version...  *hint*.

Actually, adding this stuff is probably more involved than I suggested.

If I needed this kind of functionality at the moment I'd grab the ejabberd
version, dust it off a little, add the STARTTLS functionality, and use
that. It's got to be amazingly well tested at this stage! I think it has
some code in there to use the ejabberd logging system and probably a couple
of other ejabberd-specific things you'll want to strip out or modify, but
other than that it's probably good to go. The only potential downside for
some is that it's released under the GPLv2, but I doubt this is a problem
in most cases.