[erlang-questions] correct terminology for referring to strings

Richard O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Wed Aug 1 06:33:08 CEST 2012

On 31/07/2012, at 9:53 PM, Michael Turner wrote:

>> << An Erlang "string" is simply a list of integers.  Each integer can
>> represent any Unicode codepoint/character. >>
>
> Except that Unicode codepoints represents characters, right?

Wrong.

One Unicode codepoint may represent what a particular language
views as two distinct graphemes.  (This occurs in encoding English,
for example: in 'belovéd' the diacritical mark is a stress accent
and so é counts as two separate graphemes.)

One grapheme may require two or more Unicode codepoints.
Some characters, well, 26FD FE0E is a black-and white picture
of a petrol pump, but  26FD FE0F is a colour version.  Either
of these is perceived by users as a single 'character'.
FE0E represents "select text style for the previous thingy";
FEOF represents "select emoji style for it".  You'd be hard
pressed to call either FE0E or FE0F a "character".

The majority of codepoints represent nothing at all (yet).

The thing people *still* don't get about Unicode is that
with ASCII and EBCDIC and Latin-1 there really was such a
thing as a "character" that a string was a sequence of, but
in Unicode, a string is *not* a sequence of characters but
a *well-formed* sequence of codepoints.  You *can't* represent
the "emoji style FUEL PUMP" <<character>> by a single number,
only by a *sequence* of codepoints.

I keep meaning to write a small book called "Strings Made Difficult."