[erlang-questions] [Dialyser] Type parametrized behaviours

Kostis Sagonas kostis@REDACTED
Thu Apr 26 10:23:31 CEST 2012

On 04/26/2012 09:26 AM, Francesco Mazzoli wrote:
>> The first thing I think is that you have not fully understood the need
>> for having both a -callback and a -spec. In the general case, the
>> behaviour module needs to have a way to define what the callback module
>> *can* have as implementation of callbacks, not what it *should* have as
>> its implementation. For example, it's perfectly ok for the behaviour
>> module to say that there needs to be a callback function f/1 which can
>> return 'foo' and 'bar' and for the callback module to implement a
>> function that just returns 'bar'.
>
> By the way, I had overlooked this part and I don't see why you get this
> impression, I do acknowledge the possibility and the usefulness of
> narrowing the type via -specs in the implementing module (in fact, I do
> acknowledge that is already a solution to our problem, albeit a very
> ugly one).

Note that "ugly" is a subjective word.  I guess that qualifying it with
"very" makes it... very subjective ;)

>> So, we do need both these attributes
>> since they serve different purposes. This also means that the "header
>> file approach" does not work / is not flexible enough in general.
>
> True, but I'd argue that this wouldn't/shouldn't happen often in the
> general case, given that the interface given to the user is the one of
> the behaviour -callbacks, and implementing functions with narrower
> arguments types will probably leads to breakage. I could see the
> usefulness of narrowing the result types, but still is not something
> that I'd do often.

I am not sure what your point is.  Just because this is something you
(and perhaps many others, myself included) do not do that often, does
not mean that Erlang does not need a mechanism that is general enough to
allow them to do it, if they want/need to.

All I tried to argue in that part of my post is that the distinction
between specifications of allowed callbacks (-callback attributes in the
behaviour module) and actual implementations of these callbacks (-spec
attributes in the callback module) is a general enough mechanism that
serves this purpose.  I am sorry if you find it very ugly in your
particular situation.  Perhaps others may find it ugly if Erlang gets
extended with both a general and some less general mechanism to solve
the same problem depending on the situation.  Think about it...

Enough on this. I need to digest at some point Matthew's mail which
provides some more concrete information about what may still be missing
from callbacks.

Kostis