[erlang-questions] "fat burner" GC on periodic base?

Attila Rajmund Nohl attila.r.nohl@REDACTED
Tue Apr 24 12:41:48 CEST 2012

2012/4/24 Valentin Nechayev <netch@REDACTED>:
[...]
> My questions are:
>
> 1. Is there another way to achieve the same result, as avoiding keeping
> useless data, on timed basics instead of reduction count, which, as
> shown above, doesn't work enough?

You can subscribe to "heap used by process is too large" events using
erlang:system_monitor/2. You can also make an educated guess based on
the code to call garbage collection at certain points in the code (for
example we have a gen_server that uses quite some memory during
initialization, but then it releases most of the memory, so we have an
explicit garbage collection at the end of the init function).