[erlang-questions] How to handle a massive amount of UDP packets?

Jon Watte jwatte@REDACTED
Sun Apr 22 23:26:23 CEST 2012

There are two options I would consider in this situation, both of which use
synchronous reads on the socket:

1) A single process does recv() on the socket (synchronously) and pitches
the received data to one of many worker processes (assuming work processing
> receive processing.)

2) Each worker process blocks on recv() on the socket, and the OS will give
each incoming packet to some arbitrary process that is currently blocked on
the socket. This is nice because it "magically" load balances.

I'd probably go for 2) first, and only look at 1) if I run into surprising
lock contention issues between workers.

Sincerely,

Jon Watte

--
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to
the republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and
~ Adopted by U.S. Congress, June 22, 1942