[erlang-questions] How to handle a massive amount of UDP packets?

Valentin Nechayev netch@REDACTED
Sun Apr 22 22:26:00 CEST 2012

Using {active,once} on socket type other than stream one principally can't
give performance compared to uncontrolled stream, due to asynchronous manner
of sending messages to owner's mailbox and its processing.
OTOH, {active,once} is shorthand for "send me one next portion" and this "one"
can be extended to more numbers; e.g. {active,100} for "send me 100 next
packets and then stay and wait for next permit". This combines advantages
of both modes ('once' and 'true').

-netch-