[erlang-questions] BERT encoding and WebSocket

Mike Oxford moxford@REDACTED
Thu Apr 12 06:57:21 CEST 2012

A truly stripped down binary-protocol can be faster and leaner than JSON,
but for web-work JSON is highly preferred.  Why?  Javascript has zero tools
for handling binary data and PHP's binary support is all but non-existent.
mochijson2 is a good library for converting between erlang terms and JSON.

JSON is more word-y and takes up more bandwidth, sure, but most people
aren't uber-optimizing for 56k modems these days (exception: mobile.)
The ease of using JSON in Ruby + PHP + javascript + iOS + Android more than
makes up for the wire overhead.   And it's easier to read tcpdump/pcaps,
use existing tools like curl and read native traces/dumps.

If you're just using backend server-server, BERT is easier and protobufs is
smaller/more efficient.

I use JSON on the front, BERT on the back with protobufs for talking to
Riak.  I deprecated AMF and a custom binary protocol on the front due to
the above reasons.

-mox