[erlang-questions] Fear and Loathing in Programming La La Land

Jan Burse janburse@REDACTED
Fri Apr 6 01:58:50 CEST 2012

Miles Fidelman schrieb:
> Give me 20,000 things to manage in Java, I'll probably create 20,000
> objects and come up with some kind serialization code to manage the flow
> of events.  In Erland, I'll just spawn 20,000 state machines and let the
> OTP infrastructure deal with eventing.

Concurrency is in the eye of the beholder.

I am currently working on a forward chainer where
you can have as many as you like states in a knowledge
base. And the rules can detect combinations of states
and then fire new states and/or remove old states.

No notion of an actor needed, and can be easily
implemented in a single thread, and can probably
single handedly used to solve the same stuff as
with an actor model. Under some suitable ordering
of the firing of the foward chainer (not yet done).

But I guess I need a new "tool", that splices up
an Erlang definition of an actor into forward rules,
so that we can think "sequentially" about what the
actor does. Hm.

Bye