[erlang-questions] Erlang based Web Stack

Toby Thain toby@REDACTED
Thu Apr 5 13:57:02 CEST 2012

On 05/04/12 3:17 AM, Kannan wrote:
> Thanks guys, that is a lot of input.
>
> How is the support of OTP for multimedia content manipulation,
> transcoding etc? Or you advice to do it at the C level and communicate
> it to Erlang?
>
> Also, if someone has already invented the wheel of how good Erlang is
> compared to PHP, please share it with us.

Erlang and PHP cannot really be directly compared; they solve different
problems.

PHP is a basic web templating system with OO bolted on.

Erlang is a sophisticated modern language and runtime with extraordinary
scaling capability, and built-in distribution mechanisms.

Their sweet spots barely overlap, so if you *need* Erlang, you are
unlikely to be satisfied with PHP.

As for which parts of your system might need to be in C - benchmarking
on your actual application will answer that.

--Toby