[erlang-questions] Split Cowboy's acceptor and HTTP code

Andrew Thompson andrew@REDACTED
Tue Apr 3 19:48:05 CEST 2012

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 07:43:51PM +0400, Max Lapshin wrote:
> If someone thinks that splitting single product into many infrastructure
> packages is "convenient", I want to mention horror with debian packaging of
> erlang: erlang, erlang-base, erlang-tools, erlang-mnesia, etc
>
> Nothing but problems and as a result conflicting packages when you try to
> remove all that stuff and install package from esl.

As a counterpoint, consider how riak is packaged, 25 deps, 19 of which
we maintain.

In practice, we lock all the dependancies at release time, people
running HEAD might run into some temporary issues with out of sync deps,
but its not a common problem we see.

You're also conflating erlang packaging with erlang *library* packaging.
I agree that erlang is often packaged extremely badly by distributions,
but if cowboy-acceptor is a version-locked dependancy of cowboy, there
should be little chance of them getting out of sync.

Andrew