[erlang-questions] Obsolete exported functions file:raw_{read, write}_file_info/2 - why?

Paul Fisher pfisher@REDACTED
Wed Sep 14 19:22:51 CEST 2011

Agreed.  For us, file_server_2 represented a significant bottleneck on our 8 core nodes (e.g. delete/2, rename/2, etc.)  We created a module that used the low-level prim_file interface directly to get around the bottlenecks.  We have a bounded number of processes that perform file operations, so we ended up with the following basic approach in this module:

-spec delete(Name :: file:name()) -> 'ok' | {'error', file:posix()}.

delete(Name) ->
    Port = get_port(),
    prim_file:delete( Port, Name ).

…

get_port() ->
    case get( ?MODULE ) of
        undefined ->
            Port = case prim_file:start() of
                       {ok, Port0} -> Port0;
                       {error, Reason} ->
                           exit( {?MODULE, failed_to_create_prim_file, Reason} )
                   end,
            put( ?MODULE, Port ),
            Port;
        Port -> Port
    end.

There was some discussion a few months ago about someone experimenting/testing an alternative file implementation (NIF-based, I believe), but I forget the source of the comment.