[erlang-questions] Erlang and beam-based scripting languages.

Max Lapshin max.lapshin@REDACTED
Tue Sep 13 13:19:18 CEST 2011

Hi.

I've written a letter several times to Santa Claus to have some easy
Rails <-> erlang integration for my needs, but he seems to be too
busy.

So, my problem is: it is not convenient for me to write all customer
logic in erlang, because it involves process of compiling and loading
modules.
Also, I would be very great to share the same file between web site
and erlang daemon.

It seems, that most developed beam-based language is elixir
(https://github.com/josevalim/elixir ), but there are some erlang
problems, that looks like blocking for
have convenient scripting in erlang.

I have erlyvideo server and it has config. There is option in config:

{detectors, [rewrite, akamai, livestream]}.

When user requests stream, media_provider takes this list of
detectors, goes one by one and calls:

case Module:check(Host, Name, Options) of
   ..

for each atom. Now we meet the problem. When I write  Module:check,
code_server is loading module and it can load only .beam and .app
files.
If I have any way to hook inside with some code that will say: Hi, I
know how to load this module, i think it will be easier to add simple
non-compilable scripting to my app and have something like Java world
have:  Ruby/Python classed mixed with "native" Java classes.