[erlang-questions] building erlang/otp dev on mac os x?

Paul Fisher pfisher@REDACTED
Wed Sep 7 01:13:56 CEST 2011

Björn,

Thank you for the information and the directional statement, it is very much appreciated.

I did manage to run a test results comparison of "gcc-llvm-4.2 -O0" versus "gcc-4.2 -O3" for the emulator, test_server, kernel, stdlib, and erl_interface applications.  Using "gcc-4.2 -O3" yields fewer failures for kernel and stdlib applications, and the same results for the rest.

kernel:
298		gen_tcp_misc_SUITE		iter_max_socks
FAILED	{timetrap_timeout,{gen_tcp_misc_SUITE,653}}

stdlib:
765		shell_SUITE			start_restricted_on_command_line
FAILED	{shell_SUITE,201} {badmatch,"** exception error: undefined function foo:local_...}

While I did not have a chance yet to do an exhaustive search over the results, it appears that the gcc-4.2 version completes the test cases faster for the emulator package.

To me, these results make:

$ CC=gcc-4.2 ./configure --enable-darwin-64bit

a viable alternative, at least for now.

--
paul

director, platform services
alertlogic, inc.
713-484-8383 x2314

"When in doubt, use brute force."  -- Ken Thompson