[erlang-questions] building erlang/otp dev on mac os x?

Björn Gustavsson bgustavsson@REDACTED
Tue Sep 6 07:51:41 CEST 2011

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 7:57 PM, Paul Fisher <pfisher@REDACTED> wrote:
> Yeah, sorry about that.  The tests take a long time to run and I wanted to let other mac users know that there was a possible viable alternative.
>
> I'm running more tests off and on today and will report those results, if there is interest.
>
> Was kinda hoping to move mac users past the "use -O0" impasse...

We hope to have R14B04 to build out-of-the-box
on Lion. Our plan is to have 'configure' set up
the Makefiles so that beam_emu.c is built with
gcc-4.2 and everything else with the default
compiler (usually llvm-gcc-4.2.).

Until then, the easiest way to build Erlang/OTP
seems to be:

CC=gcc-4.2 ./configure
make

We have not run all test suites on Lion yet,
but I have successfully built Erlang/OTP and
run the emulator and compiler test suites.

Our long-term plan is to find out exactly what
causes the problem compiling beam_emu.c
and submit a bug report to the llvm team.

/Bjorn