[erlang-questions] Timers for hibernated processes

ori brost oribrost@REDACTED
Mon Nov 21 20:22:11 CET 2011

We have an erlang program which creates many (300000) timers using
erlang:start_timer. We have noticed in tests that creating these
timers hurts our performance. For each such timer we have a process
that gets a message from it once every 25 seconds, except for waiting
for these messages, the processes are mostly idle. We are working on
reducing the number of timers, but we would also like to know whether
these timers may hurt performance less if the processes would
hibernate until they get a message. Furthermore, is there any
documentation explaining why creating many timers can hurt erlang
performance?