[erlang-questions] extracting sub-terms from term_to_binary encoded terms without unpacking first

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Thu Nov 17 16:40:53 CET 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 4:12 PM, Max Bourinov <bourinov@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> I also have many term_to_binary calls and as a result many-many binary
> data chunks stored in DB.
>
> As I understood to use your technique I need pimped versions of hd, tl and
> element functions. Can you please provide a little bit more details about
> it plase?

The external format is described in

http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/erts/erl_ext_dist.html

To test my understanding of this I wrote a simple program that
reconstructs a term from the external format (enclosed)

A javascript program that does almost the same thing as my program is here:

https://github.com/rtomayko/node-bertrpc/blob/master/src/bert.js

As you can see decoding a term is easy.

The tuple {a,b,c} gets encoded as

<<131,104,3,100,0,1,97,100,0,1,98,100,0,1,99>>

131 means "external format"
194,3 means a tuple with 3 elements
100,1,97 means the atom a and so on

If you keep a pointer into this structure pointing at the second word (call
this P)
and want to implement element(3, P) then you just check that P points to a
tuple
then skip to the third element.

The external format is not actually designed for rapid random access but
it's not too
bad, so this pretty easy.

Turning the code that I posted here into a set of access functions is easy.
you only need element(K) - to step into tuples hd and tail
to step into lists (though n'th would be a good idea)

For this to be efficient you would need to do this as a NIF since the
erlang code
that does the same thing would create some garbage as it executes.

I haven't done any of this - my goal is to create binaries in Erlang
and decode them in javascript.

Cheers

/Joe

Best regards,