[erlang-questions] I have a creepy feeling

Rick Pettit rpettit@REDACTED
Thu Nov 17 07:09:21 CET 2011

On Nov 16, 2011, at 11:52 PM, Alex Shneyderman wrote:

> That I am not able to send mails to this mailing list. I sent about 4
> questions in total since the start of my membership and have never
> received a response. While my previous questions might have been a bit
> idiotic and at the end I did not miss the answer the last one is a bit
> of a mystery to me and I really hope that there is simply something
> wrong with my subscription.
>
> Here is the question I asked:
>
> Does anyone know why this script does not go away after an empty line entry?
>
> #!/usr/bin/env escript
>
> main(_Args) ->
>  Result = io:get_line(">"),
>  read_more( Result ).
>
> read_more(Line) ->
>  io:format("~p~n",[Line]),
>  Result = io:get_line(">"),
>  read_more( Result );
> read_more("~n") ->
>  ok.

I think you have 2 problems there:

  1) you need to reorder your clauses in read_more/1 -- that first clause will always match

  2) you need to replace "~n" with either "\n" or [$\n]

This version works:

#!/usr/bin/env escript

main(_Args) ->
 Result = io:get_line(">"),