[erlang-questions] Decoding term_to_binary in javascript

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Tue Nov 15 21:42:38 CET 2011

To anser my own question it's not so easy.

A bert encoded term starts <<131, ...>>

Now 131 is not a single byte UTF8 character -  when I make
an ajax call from jquery in the browser the ajax stuff tryoes to convert
the blob containing a <<128,...>> to a utf8 string
and the decoding fails.

There are some html5 extensions -- something like

     var r = new XMLHttpRequest();
     r.open("GET", "get_bert", true);
     r.responseType = "arraybuffer"

      r.onload = function(e) {   // XHR2
         var arr = new Uint8Array(this.response);

seems to work - but the exiting libraries cannot decode
a Unit8Array :-(

Why the heck sockets and ajax calls can't just sent back
sequences of bytes and not mess with them is a mystery to me

/Joe