[erlang-questions] What's the difference between starting erlang vms (pure erl shell) and starting erlang nodes on the same machine?

Magnus Klaar magnus.klaar@REDACTED
Tue Nov 15 06:42:27 CET 2011

Hi!

Yes, giving nodes a name is to enable message passing between processes on
different nodes. The name is the unique identifier for remote nodes, and
"local" nodes on the same OS. If you don't have one it's like it doesn't
exist to other nodes.

The two erlang nodes share the resources available to the operating system
you're running them on, by default each erlang node will start a scheduler
thread for each cpu core available which means they will get an equal share
of the cpu resources unless you decide to change the niceness. (man 1 nice
# just in case)