[erlang-questions] [ANN] Priority Queue Implementation

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Wed Nov 9 10:00:07 CET 2011

Yeah, obviously, mine was just a sketch, thrown down as an executable comment and optimized for brevity. :)

(Although I'm not convinced, from reading, that Michael's implementation is faster than mine. Anyone who cares deeply enough could of course measure. I am currently not shopping for a faster priority queue, so I will pass on that.)

As an aside, it was a simple skew heap exercise, presented by Chris Okasaki, that made me invite Quviq to Ericsson for the first Erlang QuickCheck pilots.

The task was to reverse-engineer the insertion order of a particular skew heap. John Hughes solved it with a "brute force approach", using QuickCheck to test his assumptions. Watching him do exploratory hacking with QuickCheck was so much fun that, once he ported QuickCheck to Erlang, I had to try to find out if it could be put to use in a commercial project.

Unfortunately - or fortunately - for Quviq, the only candidate for a useful pilot was stateful, and QuickCheck had no support for that. For lesser minds, that might have been a problem, but John and Thomas quickly invented the statem model. :)

BR,
Ulf W