[erlang-questions] race condition when stopping/starting a gen_server - bug?

Fred Hebert mononcqc@REDACTED
Sun Nov 6 17:23:46 CET 2011

It's hard to help without actually seeing the code (or the test suite), but
the problem is not a bug, although it does appear to be a race condition.

As you have found, you need to use gen_server:call/2-3 and make the
termination of a gen_server synchronous to be very useful with tests.

The other things to be careful about after this is to make sure that
starting/stopping the server doesn't happen at the same time. If you're
using fixtures or just test generating functions, using the '{inorder,
TestObjects}' representation can help:

{inorder, [ListOfTests]}

or in a fixture:
some_test_() ->
   {"test description",
    {setup,
     fun setup/0,
     fun teardown/1,
     fun(SetupArg) ->
       {inorder, [
         ?_assert(...),
       ]}
     end}}.

The other reason I can imagine is that you're making the mistake of calling
your start/stop functions within a test generator (within a
?_Macro(Assertion)): these are actually equivalent to 'fun() ->
?Macro(Assertion) end' and won't be run at declare time, but only later,
which can provoke a few errors if you're not careful.