[erlang-questions] Calling my computer from my cell

Tim Watson watson.timothy@REDACTED
Wed Nov 2 11:10:04 CET 2011

On 2 November 2011 09:26, Jachym Holecek <freza@REDACTED> wrote:

> # CGS 2011-11-02:
> > SIP = Session Initiation Protocol
> > @Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_Initiation_Protocol
> > @Standard: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3261
> > @Extension: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3372.txt
> >
> > Best for voice communication
>
> My definition of "best" surely wouldn't involve a text-based protocol
> for something that's bound to be handling large numbers of concurrent
> sessions over time, I'd much rather deploy something minimalistic like
> Asterisk's IAX. But it's not like I can stop the progress... SIP won
> already.

I agree that SIP kinda sucks for being a text based protocol. What about
the H.323 stack - could you not put megaco next to the breakout and write
an FSM module to handle the DTMF tones implemented as a simple user
callback module?

> > (Erlang/OTP open source implementation:
> > not known). Example of implementation: Asterisk
> > (http://www.asterisk.org/)
>
> Open source Erlang implementation known:
>
>  http://www.stacken.kth.se/project/yxa/
>
> :-)
>
> Don't have hands-on experience with it though.

I played with yxa a bit and it worked ok, but I haven't used it in the
wild. I've also played with a FreeSwitch erlang integration package and
have seen a OpenSIPS/OpenSER being used embedded along with an application,
which seemed to work well.