[erlang-questions] halfword emulator state

Björn-Egil Dahlberg wallentin.dahlberg@REDACTED
Tue May 31 13:27:23 CEST 2011

Perhaps the vanilla x86_64 beam should be called doubleword beam. And no
halfword.

 It always struck me as strange that erlangs wordsize was dependent on what
machine it was running on.

// Björn-Egil
Skickat från min iPhone

31 maj 2011 kl. 07:10 skrev OvermindDL1 <overminddl1@REDACTED>:

On May 30, 2011 9:47 PM, "Jeff Schultz" <jws@REDACTED> wrote:

> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 03:38:57PM +1200, Richard O'Keefe wrote:
> > On 31/05/2011, at 8:20 AM, Paolo Negri wrote:
> > > I would like to assess the state of development and recommended usage
> > > of the halfword emulator.
>
> > Could I just make the point that "halfword" is confusing?
> > I thought it referred to 16-bit units of something.
> > It might be clearer if called the "small pointer emulator"
> > or something like that.
>
> Or "compact pointer emulator" or "compact address emulator."
>

>    Jeff Schultz

Was it not only for 64bit, hence a halfword will only be 32bit, not 16bit?