[erlang-questions] CSLab, the first 10 years

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Mon May 30 11:58:30 CEST 2011

Bjarne Däcker once wrote a nice booklet called "Datalogilaboratoriet - de första 10 åren" (The Computer Science Lab - the first 10 years).

http://www.erlang.se/publications/jubileumsskrift.html (unfortunately without the great pictures found in the printed book)

I just tried running it through Google Translate

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.erlang.se%2Fpublications%2Fjubileumsskrift.html

and it works pretty well. Bjarne writes fairly idiomatic Swedish, so the google translator doesn't get too confused*.

I think the text is well worth reading, even in this machine-translated form, if you're a sucker for Erlang history.

* I did notice this failure:

Original:
- It's not good enough to have ideas - you must also be able to implement them to know that they work."

Translation:
- It's not good enough to Have ideas - you must also "request variable to Implement Them to Know That Do They Work."

Tip to google: It's not *that* uncommon to find English quotes in Swedish texts. Be prepared for it.

BR,
Ulf W

Ulf Wiger, CTO, Erlang Solutions, Ltd.
http://erlang-solutions.com