[erlang-questions] Unidirectional linking?

Mazen Harake mazen.harake@REDACTED
Wed May 25 09:28:31 CEST 2011

Perhaps something like this:

process_flag(trap_exit, true),
Parent = self(),
Child = spawn_link(fun() -> Parent ! (catch Op) end),
receive
  {'EXIT', ParentsParent, Reason} ->
    exit(Reason);
  Result ->
    Result
 after N ->
    unlink(Child),
    exit(Child, timeout),
    timeout
end.

if you get an exit signal from the parent's parent you will exit if you are
in the receive clause and you will ignore it (unless it is a kill) if you
are in between the unlink and exit child?

I do however still think that this is very defensive and that the
probability of getting an exit between unlink and exit is very small unless
the timeout in N is exactly the same (very very close to) the timeout that
the parent's parent has for exiting the parent.