[erlang-questions] Why do we need modules at all?

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Wed May 25 06:54:18 CEST 2011

If someone had told me in 1981 (when I got a taste of both Prolog and
Smalltalk) that, in 2011, we'd still be editing files of code with text
editors, with a strong coincidence between "module" and
"code-file/header-file pair", I would have been surprised. But here we are.
Is it just cultural inertia? Or is it that this way of doing things isn't
really broken, just the best compromise in the best of all programming
worlds?

By some coincidence, Richard and I are discussing non-contiguous clauses in
named functions as something that was nice in Prolog, and would be nice in
Erlang. Which would suggest an even finer granularity for the database: as
long as you can maintain a (partial) order of clauses for a function,
clauses, not functions, might be the minimal units.

I think it's worth looking very closely at how other systems tried to solve
the same or similar problems (even decades ago, e.g., Smalltalk and
Interlisp-D) and what problems they ran up against, and at what kind of
scaffolding would make the architecture of any Erlang solution backward
compatible with (most) existing Erlang development. The ideal (probably
unachievable) would be that nobody would need to change anything about how
they work now, while anybody who wants to take fuller advantage of the
system would face no obstacles that were rationalized in the name of
backward compatibility. A tall order.

-michael turner