[erlang-questions] Why do we need modules at all?

Tue May 24 16:48:12 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 16:10, Max Lapshin <max.lapshin@REDACTED> wrote:
> I can't imagine myself working with system, that uses non-plain files
> for storing source code.

On a side-related note: I think it is a grand mistake to enforce the
"one file per module" convention. Modules should be created by virtue
of the wish of a programmer. Not by a single file. The current
convention begs for trouble as soon as you want to load a library of
several modules off of the network via an http://-reference for
instance. If you could have several modules in a single file, then
reference would simply be to a single URI.

Worse it is to enforce that the package hierarchy is a directory
structure as in Java. It is not very compatible with the greatest
programming IDE of all time: UNIX.

--
J.