[erlang-questions] Why do we need modules at all?

Attila Rajmund Nohl attila.r.nohl@REDACTED
Tue May 24 15:11:59 CEST 2011

2011/5/24, Joe Armstrong <erlang@REDACTED>:
[...]
> What do I do today when I suspect that somebody has written some code ?
>

>     1) will it take me < ten minutes to write the code?
>         yes - write it
>     2) google or ask a friend
>     3) this gets me to git or sowhere
>     4) search
>     5) cut-and-paste
>
> Not a good method - and this is *best practise*

This only works if the function in itself useful. Somehow I don't
think this is the case  the most time. If I need not a function, but a
functionality, there's a chance there is an ets table behind or a
process, some configuration file setup - then the whole "import a
single function" doesn't help, but just adds complications that even
the last helper function has to have a globally unique name...