[erlang-questions] Why do we need modules at all?

Tim Watson watson.timothy@REDACTED
Tue May 24 13:19:27 CEST 2011

My 2 pennies worth: I don't think getting rid of modules is a good
plan. Having global (mangled) names is a path to misery. In the
languages that do mess with names (python, C++, etc) it creates a
bloody nightmare. I would steer clear of this. I like the idea of
having a global database of code, but not all of it floating in some
etherial top level namespace.

Most of what's cool about http://www.haskell.org/hoogle/ and
http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/hackage.html is made possible by
the combination of good standardised build tools and hosting
repositories, so I'd be more included to focus on improving (and
extending) things like rebar and agner/erlware to provide the same
kind of developer-experience without changing the language so much.

Introducing letrec is a bloody marvelous suggestion. Also making it
easier to do partial application and function composition would
simplify a lot of the re-use cases without messing with the module
system.

I'm not going to stray off too far into alternative-solution land, but
given the OTP team reads this list, I don't want to miss the
opportunity to mention some minor things about the module system that
could do with an overhaul.

- Fully supported parameterised modules

Not because I want to use them as a state bag, but rather that they
make it easy to implement something akin to a functor without having
to reside in a process. This means that all the tools need to support
this concept and it is documented, etc. Extending the module system so
that you can -extend a module to create a new concrete implementation
would be useful:

%% finder.erl
-module(finder).
-functor([M]).
-compile(export_all).

find() -> walk(fun M:match/3).

%% rx_finder.erl
-module(rx_finder).
-extends(finder, [re]).

Perhaps the syntax/approach there isn't quite right, but the point I'm
getting at is that what with parameterised modules and -extends, you
should be able to compose stuff easily.

- Better support for *import*

As the quantity of code you're dealing with increases, you need to be
able to import discrete units of it in simpler and more intuitive
ways. I'm not exactly a fan of Java, but you can see in that world
that the quantity of libraries (often open source ones) being used on
any project means you simply cannot avoid having to import things
(packages, classes, static methods/functions) without going mad.
Although Erlang is still (thankfully) simple enough not to have this
problem, I suspect as the number of projects blossoms it will
eventually approach the critical mass.

Also being able to support something like -import_alias(name, mod)
would be quite handy, although I realise this is fairly trivial with a
parse_transform.

- Fully supporting packages

of us follow is fine, but it does get rather tedious. Package,
namespaces or nested modules are all solution that are known to work
and are widely adopted by other languages. The package system in
erlang works fine, but not all the tools properly support it today
(cover, reltool and a few others are broken).