[erlang-questions] Why do we need modules at all?

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@REDACTED
Tue May 24 12:39:18 CEST 2011

Greetings,

It would be very nice to have module renaming/namespacing that allowed
me to do the following:
The modules "misc_lib" and "misc_lib_helper" from developer A should be
able to call each other with their original names.
The modules "misc_lib" and "misc_lib_helper" from developer B should be
able to call each other with their original names.
I should be able to call all 4 at the same time with names that I have
create/renamed.

So, I need to load modules as a set/application/??? that renames them
outside of that set (it would be ok to have the same prefix added to all
of them), and still allows the files in the set/application/??? to keep
using to the old names.

When it comes to improving stdlibs I suggest that we create new, better
modules. Keep the old ones (for ever?) but print a big "deprecated" all
over the man pages.

bengt