[erlang-questions] Calling multiple processes simultaneously

Torben Hoffmann torben.lehoff@REDACTED
Mon May 23 21:40:19 CEST 2011

Hi Martin,

I would try to avoid overloading the protocol between the program and the
gen_servers - instead I would introduce a gen_sync module  that handles the
synchronisation for you.

The program would provide a list of {M,F,A}'s that all have to be
synchronous calls in your gen_server modules.
The gen_sync module would then spawn a process for each of the {M,F,A}'s and
monitor them for successful completion.
When all processes have returned - either successfully or failed - the
gen_sync call would return with an appropriate answer. Exactly what is
appropriate is up to you.

Yes, this requires another module in your design, but you can re-use it
elsewhere and it provides a nice abstraction for the multi-synchronisation
by pushing all the synchronisation into the gen_sync module.

gen_sync would be a gen_server as far as I can tell, unless you want to
elaborate the functionality and have some states... not sure what those
should be so it is probably overkill.

Cheers,
Torben

http://www.linkedin.com/in/torbenhoffmann