[erlang-questions] ASN.1 PER Does Not Correctly Handle Value Range Size Constraint

Kenneth Lundin kenneth.lundin@REDACTED
Mon May 23 17:18:52 CEST 2011

Hi,

You have spotted a weak point in the ASN.1 compiler but it is not the
type of wrong behaviour as
you think.

For BIT STRING and SEQUENCE OF the standard defines that the following
constraints are
applicable:
- Single value,
- Contained Subtype
- Size constraint

But not Value-range

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 9:35 PM, Behdad Forghani
<behdad.forghani@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have tested this on R14B02.
>
> I noticed that ASN.1 compiler does not handle value range size constraints
> for SEQUENCE OF and BIT STRING.
>
> For example:
> Abs ::= BIT STRING(0|1|7)

I don't know how to interpret  Abs, what does it mean? i.e. the 0|1|7
is it value 0, 1, 7? it is certainly not
the size since then you have to write (SIZE(0|1|7))

> Bbs ::= BIT STRING(3..18)
This is a value range which is clearly not applicable (the compiler
should have rejected this)

If you want a SIZE constraint you should write BIT STRING (SIZE(3..18))

> Cbs ::= BIT STRING
>

> Abs has a size constraint of 0..7 and Bbs, 3..18.
These are not size constraints they are value ranges. Which are not applicable.
I have to check the standard regarding the union to see what it means
for a BIT STRING if it is
applicable at all.

> All three of the above will be encoded identically as length indeterminant
> as 0x07DA. This is only correct for Cbs. The problem seems to be that
> encode_bit_string calls get_constraint(C,'SizeConstraint').
>
> However the constraint for the Abs is a UNION and for Bbs a ValueRange. It
> seems to me the support for both constraints needs to be added.

No I don't think so. I think it should be added functionality to
reject constraints which are not applicable for the type in question.