[erlang-questions] DRY principle and the syntax inconsistency in fun vs. vanilla functions

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Fri May 20 16:30:17 CEST 2011

"... because THAT IS COVERED IN THE REFERENCE MANUAL WHERE THE VERY
FIRST THING AFTER THE SECTION HEADING SHOWS A MULTICLAUSE FUN."

And (he says, ears ringing slightly) that somehow makes it OK for any other
part of the documentation to be wrong, even when your average learner is far
more likely to encounter the erroneous passage first?

I eventually ran across the reference manual description.

Thanks for the update about the proportions of time spent scanning vs.
parsing. I'm under the influence of something I heard Bill Joy (then a
student of Sue Graham's) say about lex and yacc back around 1980 or so. In
any case, can we at least agree that the change I suggest is going to have
minimal impact on parsing times?

"If both the existing readable alternative and the proposed horrible one
are supported, the code *has* to increase in volume, and *has* to become
less maintainable."

Even if it actually reduces the number of grammar rules, or keeps the number
the same, and even if it means the same amount of head-match checking we
have now?

"You are attacking one of the features of Erlang that I have found
most helpful."

I found this "feature" helpful in a way myself: from doing some Prolog
programming, I had some experience with writing code in this pattern. But
when I was doing Prolog programming, I had the same complaint about Prolog:
dreary repetition of redundant identifiers where whitespace and indentation
would (I thought) enhance readability. It took some getting used to. But I
suppose I could have learned to love it if I'd done more Prolog programming.

We have an eye of the beholder problem, here, obviously.

-michael turner